How to Setup PPTP on Fresh Tomato
PPTP is one of the best VPN protocols to use on your router for any online activity, such as streaming videos and gaming, because of its speed. Fortunately, this protocol type is compatible with almost all operating systems. ExtremeVPN comes with this PPTP protocol but requires manual configuration to set it up on your Fresh Tomato router.
This article will provide all the steps to set up ExtremeVPN PPTP on the Fresh Tomato firmware router. To help with our guide, we used a Linksys router flashed with the latest Fresh Tomato firmware.
Things to Note
Before diving into this guide, confirm that;
- You have a stable internet connection
- A VPN-supported router
- A premium ExtremeVPN account (If you don’t have one yet, you can click here to buy one)
To get your ExtremeVPN credentials, which consist of your username and password, click here to visit our Member Area.
- Login to the Member area by entering your ExtremeVPN registered email address and password.
- Click on Subscription.
- On the next page that appears, scroll down for you to find your VPN credentials.
- You can now copy your ExtremeVPN username and password. Click on the Eye icon to make your password visible.
You are now ready to use your VPN credentials for manual configuration.
Follow these steps to correctly setup our PPTP on Fresh Tomato;
- Login to the router control panel by typing the default IP address 192.168.1.1 on the search bar of your preferred browser. (Suppose you have already changed your IP address from the default one, type that on your browser instead).
- On the control panel page, type the default Tomato admin name, root, and password, admin. Click on Sign in.
- Once logged in, click on VPN Tunnelling on the left panel.
- Next, click on PPTP Client.
You can now set up your PPTP client by following this step-by-step process;
- Check the box beside the Start with Wan option.
- Next, you are required to enter a server address based. You can refer to the server address highlighted below:
- Germany: de1.pointtoserver.com
- Netherlands: nl1.pointtoserver.com
- United Kingdom: ukl1.pointtoserver.com
- United States: usil1.pointtoserver.com
- United States: ustx1.pointtoserver.com
- United States: usca1.pointtoserver.com
- United States: usfl1.pointtoserver.com
- United States: usny1.pointtoserver.com
- United States: uswdc1.pointtoserver.com
- Australia: au-sd1.pointtoserver.com
- You can now enter your ExtremeVPN credentials. This consists of the username and password you copied earlier for manual configuration.
- For Encryption, select Auto.
- Check the box beside Stateless MPPE connection.
- Select Yes for Accept DNS configuration.
- Check the boxes beside Redirect Internet traffic and Create NAT on tunnel.
- Select the Default option for both MTU and MRU.
- Click on Save.
- Click on Start Now.
By following the steps above, you have successfully connected to ExtremeVPN PPTP.
If you ever want to disconnect from your PPTP VPN connection, click Stop Now on the PPTP Client Configuration window.
How helpful was this guide? Share your thoughts below. Your recommendations matter to us and everyone else in the entire cyber security community.