ExtremeVPN Configuration on GL.iNet Router
Downloading a VPN on a router is brilliant, as many home appliances do not enable VPN. Since most household appliances link to the router, employing a VPN to protect the router’s internet connection will also safeguard the internet connections of these appliances.
If you own a GL.iNet router, this guide is for you, and you still need to set up a VPN. This article will describe how to set up ExtremeVPN on your GL.iNet router.
GL.iNet is a strong and well-known wifi and IoT developer. GL.iNet is a company that specializes in creating wifi routers, IoT gateways, and remote device management platforms.
Considerations for Configuring ExtremeVPN on Your GL.iNet Router
- Strong Internet connection: Before beginning your configuration, ensure a strong connection. You need a strong internet connection because there will be interactions between the ExtremeVPN and GL.iNet networks.
- VPN-Enabled Router: Check to see if your GL.iNet router is VPN-enabled, which means it can install a VPN. Nonetheless, most GL.iNet routers are VPN-enabled, using an open-source protocol that allows site-to-site and point-to-point connections.
- Premium ExtremeVPN account: Many VPN services are accessible, but you must be cautious to avoid installing spyware disguised as a VPN on your device.
Many VPN services, especially free ones, are unreliable; thus, we recommend using an ExtremeVPN premium (paid membership) account for this setup.
- Obtain your ExtremeVPN credentials; use your registered login details to access your ExtremeVPN account’s membership panel. From the dashboard, navigate to the subscription page, then scroll down to see your username and password information, which you should copy.
- From the ExtremeVPN dashboard, select Download and save your configuration files.
- Navigate to your GL.iNet site and drag the ExtremeVPN configuration file. A pop-up will appear, asking you to authenticate your settings by providing your credentials, after which you will enter the login details you recovered in Step 1.
- After entering your credentials, click the enable option to connect and click the apply button.
- Verify that your GL.iNet Router is on and operational. After a successful connection, a quick Google search should reveal your router is active and functional.
If the Google search returns an IP address and location that differs from your usual location, double-check, and make any necessary changes.
Got help from this guide? Drop your comments below. Your experience and recommendations matter to us and everyone else in the cyber security community.