How to Configure ExtremeVPN on Mikrotik Router
Setting up an ExtremeVPN for your router is the most reliable way to protect your devices connected to home Wi-fi, including those that don’t support VPN connections.
MikroTik routers give an innovative solution to users at home, helping them to enjoy a better internet experience. Instead of configuring one big access point, users now have the opportunity to segment it into small pieces. No matter which router device you use, privacy is always a concern. For this reason, we recommend using a VPN for everyone. This guide will teach you how to set up ExtremeVPN on your Mikrotik Router.
Factors to Consider
- You need a stable internet connection
- A device (router) supporting VPN connection
- Premium ExtremeVPN connection (click this link to get one if you’re a new user)
Finding your VPN credentials is easy. For this, you only need to visit the Member panel of the ExtremeVPN application.
- Log in to the Member area using your registered email and password.
- Your VPN credentials will be available on the Subscriptions tab. Scroll down to locate them.
- You can now view or copy your login details.
- Note down and remember your credentials. To view your password, click on the Eye icon, and it will display the password for manual configuration.
- Sign in and access the control panel of your router. Press Click and choose PPTP client.
- Insert PureVPN-PPTP on the Name section tab.
- Tap Dial Out and type in the server address you prefer to connect to.
- Now, enter your ExtremeVPN credentials.
- Check the Dial on demand and Add default route points. Hit OK/ Apply to save the changes.
Note: If you face problems connecting to VPN, remove the check mark from Add Default Route.
- Now, tap on IP from the main menu tab, and choose Firewall.
- Go to the NAT tab and add (+) a new NAT rule. Select scrnat from chain and ExtremeVPN-PPTP from the list of Out Interface.
- Press the Action tab and choose Masquerade from the drop-down list that appears.
- Click OK/Apply to save the configurations.
- Now move to the Mangle tab and insert a new rule. From the General tab, pick prerouting on the Chain drop-down list. Then type in the IP address you desire to connect to or the range of the available IP addresses you want to pass within the VPN tunnel in the Src Address field.
- Proceed to the Action tab and select mark routing on the Action list. Insert ExtremeVPN-PPTP into the New Routing Mark tab and Press Save.
- Tap IP on the main menu and tap on Routes.
- Now press + icon to add a new route. Type 0.0.0.0/0 on the Dst. Address, select ExtremeVPN-PPTP from Gateway, and then select ExtremeVPN-PPTP on the Routing Mark. Press Apply/OK to save the changes.
- Click on IP and choose DNS.
- Check the Allow Remote Requests and press Save.
- Click on IP and choose DHCP Server.
- Now type in 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199 on the DNS server field. After this, save the settings.
- Now tap Interfaces on the main menu, open the ExtremeVPN-PPTP interface, and activate the connection through the status tab.
- That’s it. Enjoy unlimited internet access with ExtremeVPN.
- Sign in to your router, tap PPP from the main menu, and choose SSTP client.
- Insert the ExtremeVPN-SSTP in the Name field.
- Now press Dial Out, and type in the server address you wish to connect to. (Enter the desired address). Insert your ExtremeVPN credentials. Check the dial on demand and add default route fields. Press OK/Apply to save the settings.
- Now tap IP from the main menu and pick Firewall.
- Select NAT and add (+) a new NAT rule. Pick scrnat on the chain list and ExtremeVPN-SSTP from the list of Out. Interface.
- Click on the Action field and select Masquerade from the drop-down list.
- Press OK/Apply to save the configurations.
- Now go to the Mangle tab and insert a new rule.
- From the General tab, select Prerouting on the Chain list. On Src Address, type the IP address you wish to connect to or the range of the available IP addresses you want to reroute from the VPN tunnel.
- Tap on the Action tab. Now pick mark routing from the Action list. Insert ExtremeVPN-SSTP on the New Routing Mark. Now, save the settings.
- Tap on IP from the main menu and click Routes.
- Press the + icon to insert a new route.
- Type 0.0.0.0/0 on the Dst. Address field. Select ExtremeVPN-SSTP from Gateway, and choose ExtremeVPN-SSTP from the Routing Mark.
- Press OK/Apply to save settings.
- Pick IP from the main menu and select DNS.
- Check Allow Remote Requests and save the configurations.
- Tap on IP and choose DHCP Server.
- Type 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206 on the DNS Servers fields and save the settings.
- Press Interfaces from the side menu and open the ExtremeVPN-SSTP interface. After this, activate your connection.
- The configuration is completed. Get unrestricted internet access with ExtremeVPN.
How helpful was this guide? Let us know in the comments section below. Your experience and recommendations matter to us and everyone else in the entire cyber security community.