How to Configure ExtremeVPN on OPNsense Router
Setting up ExtremeVPN on your OPNsense router is an effective way to ensure the security of all your devices connected to the router. This can help ensure that all your devices, especially those that don’t support VPN functionality, are protected from online threats. Read this article to discover how to connect ExtremeVPN to your OPNsense router.
Things to Consider
To start this process, ensure that;
- You have a reliable internet connection
- A VPN-supported router
- A premium ExtremeVPN account (If you don’t have one yet, you can click here to buy one)
Your VPN credentials consist of your username and password, which are essential for all your manual VPN configuration. Follow these steps to find your ExtremeVPN credentials;
- Go to the ExtremeVPN Member Area, which you can visit through this link.
- Enter your ExtremeVPN registered email address and password, and click on Login.
- On the left panel, you will see a Subscription tab which you should click on.
- Scroll down the page until you see your VPN username and password.
- You can copy your ExtremeVPN credentials. Tap on the Eye icon beside your password to make it visible.
- You can now use the copied credentials for all manual configurations.
Before you start the process, ensure that you download the required ExtremeVPN configuration files for routers here. Follow the steps below to start your VPN setup;
- Open your default browser and type 192.168.3.1, the default IP address for OPNsense routers. This will lead you to the router’s web-based user interface.
- On this page, you will see two fields where you can enter your OPNsense username and password. If you haven’t changed your setting, the default username is root, while the default password is OPNsense. Enter these details and click Enter to log in to your router control panel.
- In your router’s control panel, click on System from the left panel.
- Select Trust and click on Authorities.
- Under the field beside Certificate Data, paste the contents from the CA2.cert file, which you will see in the configuration file you downloaded earlier.
- On the left panel, select VPN and choose ExtremeVPN. Click on Clients from the drop-down window.
- Before moving on, proceed to the ExtremeVPN server status page here and take note of the hostname of the server location of your choice. (For this guide, we make use of a German server as an example with the hostname – de2-auto-udp-ptoserver.com).
- On the clients page, click on the + icon and configure the page as follows:
- Under Disabled, uncheck the box.
- Description – give it any name of your choice. In this guide, we use ExtremeVPN Germany.
- For Server Mode, select Peer to Peer (SSL/TLS).
- Under Protocol, choose either UDP or TCP.
- For Device mode, pick Tun.
- For Interface, select WAN.
- Under the Remote Server field, type the ExtremeVPN’s server hostname you got from step 7. In this case, we would enter de2-auto-udp-ptoserver.com.
- For Port, enter 1194 (If you chose UDP earlier, you could also enter 53, 80,443, or 2050 and if you chose TCP, you could also enter 80,443, or 1443. Regardless of the port number you chose, all the ports are secure).
- On the space provided for username and password, paste the VPN credentials you copied earlier. If you skipped that step, click here to locate your VPN details.
- Under TLS Authentication, select the Enable Authentication of TLS packets option and copy the contents in the ExtremeVPN wdc.key file, also in the configuration file downloaded earlier, and paste it on the field provided.
- For Peer Certificate Authority, select CA2.
- Under Client Certificate, select None (Username and Password required).
- Under Encryption Algorithm, you can choose either AES-256-GCM or AES-256-CBC. They are both supported encryption algorithms.
- For Auth Digest Algorithm, enter SHA1 (160bit).
- For Compression, select Legacy – Disabled LZO algorithm (-comp-lzo no).
- Click on Save.
- Finally, click on VPN, select ExtremeVPN, and choose Connection Status to view your VPN status.
By following the steps above, you have successfully connected your OPNsense router to ExtremeVPN!
Found help through this guide? Rate us and leave comments below. Your input is important to us and everyone in the Cyber Security Community.