How to Configure ExtremeVPN OpenVPN on Linksys Router
At times, you may have noticed a limitation when setting up OpenVPN on Linksys Router. It’s because Linksys Router doesn’t currently support the OpenVPN protocol. A solution would be to flash your router firmware to DD-WRT, a third-party firmware offering additional features and customization options. We’ve segmented this guide into four easy parts to provide a better understanding of the process.
Factors to Consider
- A stable internet connection
- A router supporting VPN connections
- Premium ExtremeVPN subscriptions (click here to subscribe if you’re not an old user)
You can always check your VPN credentials by moving to the ExtremeVPN Member area. To do this, follow the steps we’re listing here:
- Sign in to the ExtremeVPN Member area using your username and password.
- Your VPN credentials will be available on the subscriptions tab. Scroll down to find them.
- Now, you can either view or copy them.
- Note down and remember your credentials. The password is usually hidden; click on the Eye icon to view it.
- You can now use these login credentials to configure the router manually.
Use this link to get the DD-WRT Firmware downloadable files for your Linksys Router.
- Access your router’s control panel and sign in to it. Then click Configuration.
- Tap on Administration.
- Select Firmware upgrade.
- Tap on Choose File and select the file you’ve downloaded through the link.
- Press Upload.
- Congrats! The firmware will be upgraded to DD-WRT.
- To continue the process, download the OpenVPN files from this link. Once downloaded, extract them to your system.
- Go to your DDWRT Control Panel, choose Services, tap the VPN tab, and Enable OpenVPN Client.
- Now, configure the following settings for OpenVPN client:
- OpenVPN Client: Turn it on
- CVE Mitigation: Deactivate it
- Server IP/Name: Insert your desired location’s UDP/TCP server address here.
- Port Option: For TCP (Enter 80) / For UDP ( Enter 53)
- Tunnel Device Option: Select TUN
- Tunnel Protocol Option: Choose UDP/TCP
- Encryption Cipher Option: Select AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm Option: Choose SHA-1
- Inbound Firewall on TUN Option: Leave it unchecked
- User Pass Authentication: Checkmark this one.
- Password and Username: Type in your ExtremeVPN login details.
- Advanced Options: Enable it.
- TLS Cipher: None
- Compression: Switch to Adaptive
- NAT option: Activate/Enable it
- Firewall Protection: Turn it off/Disable
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Turn it off/Disable
- Verify Server Cert.: Check mark this
- TLS Key Choice: TLS Auth
- TLS Key: Paste all the data from the key file you got with the downloaded OpenVPN configuration files.
- Additional Configuration:
- CA Cert: Paste all the data from the crt file you got with the downloaded OpenVPN configuration files.
- Press Save Settings and Confirm by clicking Apply Settings button.
- Go to the Status tab, navigate to the OpenVPN panel, and verify the connection status.
How helpful was this guide? Share your remarks with us in the comments section. Your recommendations matter to us and everyone else in our cyber security community.