Are you having trouble using your VPN to access Amazon Prime Video? Read this article to learn the most recent 2024 fixes that simplify streaming on Amazon Prime. Say goodbye to geographic limitations and enjoy continuous access to your preferred content with ease.
Amazon Prime offers various popular titles that anyone would love to access. So, if you are part of the population that cannot stream Amazon Prime content without a VPN, we understand how you feel when you acquire a VPN, and it still blocks you from accessing it.
There could be multiple reasons for this. This article will discuss why you can’t access Amazon Prime with a VPN and how you can regain a strong connection with Amazon Prime using a top-notch VPN provider like ExtremeVPN.
Ways to Fix Amazon Prime Not Working with VPN: Quick List
- Confirm if Amazon Prime works on a different device with your VPN.
- Link to servers with minimum user connections.
- Clear your browser’s cache and cookies.
- Verify your VPN IP address.
- Select a different VPN protocol.
- Chat with a customer care representative.
- Update your VPN.
- Establish a connection with an alternative server.
- Clear the DNS records.
- Verify the configuration settings on your Smart TV.
- Change the time and date on the system.
- Upgrade to a quality VPN.
Methods to Fix Amazon Prime Not working with VPN: Detailed List
1. Confirm if Amazon Prime Works on a Different Device with Your VPN
Amazon Prime and VPNs are typically compatible with multiple devices. You want to first log in to your Amazon Prime account on another device to confirm if the issue is coming from the VPN or that particular device. This will make it easier to resolve the issue.
2. Link to Servers with Minimum User Connections
The more connections a server has, the more likely it is for that server to slow down. That might be causing your VPN to not connect smoothly with Amazon Prime. The traffic is affecting connectivity. So, look for another server, connect to it, and try using Amazon Prime.
3. Clear Your Browser’s Cache and Cookies
Not clearing caches or cookies, which might be corrupt, can affect your internet connectivity, primarily when you use a VPN. Ensure that from time to time; you take the time to clear the app’s cache on your device and cookies on your browser. When you do this, you delete obsolete data that could harm your activity.
4. Verify Your VPN IP Address
Sometimes, your VPN fails to change your IP address according to a particular country. Hence, one must always confirm your IP address is showing the right country location. If you’re unsure about your IP, visit this page to check your current IP address.
5. Select a Different VPN Protocol
Protocols are the key to providing users with stable, reliable, and secure connections to the internet. VPN providers adopt protocols to perform basic features such as authentication and encryption. Authentication ensures that you have a connection to a server. At the same time, encryption ensures the connection is private and unreadable to any third party.
So, when you find that Amazon Prime isn’t connecting with your VPN, it might be because your VPN protocol restricts it. If your VPN provider allows it, try changing your VPN protocol and see if it changes anything when you do.
6. Chat with a Customer Care Representative
Customer care representatives exist for this very reason. The whole process of verifying, changing, and updating can confuse you as a user. So, log in to your VPN service’s app or website and have a live chat or phone with customer support. You ask questions and expect to receive first-hand responses.
7. Update Your VPN
Sometimes, you don’t have to worry too much about the connection issues. Uninstall, then reinstall an updated version of your VPN. It is the solution you’ve been looking for. Also, you can choose not to uninstall. Instead, go to PlayStore, Apple Store, or web browser to update your VPN software.
8. Establish a Connection with an Alternative Server
If you experience buffering while streaming on Amazon Prime with a VPN connection, it could be due to the server you are using. Try connecting to an alternative server on your VPN provider’s server list.
9. Clear the DNS Records
Your VPN provider does not store DNS or any personal data. However, if you previously connected with Amazon Prime using your local network or ISP, check and clear your DNS records. To do this, follow the steps below.
- To open the command prompt, use the keyboard shortcut Windows + R and input cmd.
- Input ipconfig/flushdns into the command window prompt and press Enter.
- This alert, “Successfully flushed the DNS resolver cache,” should appear on your screen.
- Restart Amazon Prime and reconnect to your VPN server.
- On your keyboard, enter Terminal and hit Command + Space to launch the application.
- Input this command: sudo killall -HUP mDNSResponder; sudo dscacheutil -flushcache.
- To empty the DNS cache on your Mac, enter your password and hit Enter.
10. Verify the Configuration Settings on Your Smart TV
Smart TVs have a setting that does not initially approve a VPN connection. So, if you notice a connection glitch between your VPN and Amazon Prime on your Smart TV, you need to configure your TV to function with a VPN.
11. Change the Time and Date on the System
For some reason, some apps refuse to work when a device has a wrong date or time. This might be the case in this scenario. Go to settings on your device and change the time and date to experience optimal connection. Fixing the time and date on your device is easy. Let us show you how.
- Navigate to the Start menu. Select settings, time & language, then date & time.
- After deactivating time settings automatically, select change.
- From the option that appears, choose the time zone you are now in.
- Turn your VPN back on.
- Select the date & time from the system preferences menu on the Apple toolbar.
- Switch off the automatic setting of the time and date.
- Change the time zone or manually input the time.
- Turn your VPN back on.
12. Upgrade to a Quality VPN
If the issue persists after trying all 11 options above, now is the time to upgrade your VPN service to a high-quality VPN like ExtremeVPN. Its advanced security features will ensure that you experience smooth connections when you connect with Amazon Prime. Let’s look at these features in the following section.
ExtremeVPN: Top VPN for Amazon Prime in 2024
ExtremeVPN ranks as the fastest VPN among its competitors, with military-grade protocols like WireGuard that ensure your experience on the internet has zero restrictions or speed limitations. We host over 78 countries with 6,500+ VPN servers worldwide, and you can select and connect to find a perfect match.
Select a server location, and ExtremeVPN will suggest the optimal VPN server. ExtremeVPN provides round-the-clock customer support to assist you with any internet connection problems. This way, you are not left alone to figure things out.
The “Quick Select” feature on ExtremeVPN connects you to the fastest servers with minimum user connections. You can also block your ISP or local networks from interfering with your connection or data when you use ExtremeVPN. Because of how fast ExtremeVPN servers are, there are zero lags, buffering, or bandwidth limits.
Whether streaming movies or browsing the internet, ExtremeVPN promises a safe, secure, and consistent network operation. With its military-grade encryption, it is difficult for data to go out to third parties. ExtremeVPN also implements a strict no-log policy and offers affordable plans for its customers.
Why Does Amazon Prime Fail to Work with a VPN?
Sometimes, the issue isn’t with the VPN you use but with Amazon itself. Amazon Prime showcases a vast network of movies and shows. Each of these movies or shows has protocols that determine where they air. Content creators and producers can choose where, when, and how their content airs.
So, you might notice that a particular show is available in the UK but unavailable in the US. While Amazon Prime can buy rights to display the content on their platform, they still have to respect the creators and producers by limiting access to people outside a particular jurisdiction.
This is where the functionality of a VPN disrupts operations.
When you use a VPN, especially a high-end one like ExtremeVPN, you can bypass any restrictions and watch whatever content you want on Amazon Prime. The platform tries so much to restrict VPN access, thereby blocking you from viewing outside approved locations. If it fails to, there may be harsh penalties.
Why Am I Receiving the Error Message “Your Device is Connected to the Internet Using a VPN or Proxy Service? Please Disable it and Try Again!”
You receive this error message because Amazon Prime detects VPN to stream its programs. There are guidelines on Amazon Prime that ensure there is no breach of broadcast rights. If Amazon Prime purchases rights to display content on its platform but the creator restricts its availability in specific countries, Amazon Prime has to follow protocols.
Strict copyright and license laws prevent Amazon Prime from allowing anyone with a VPN to bypass geo-restrictions. Amazon Prime does not want to suffer any charges or repercussions. So, they do everything to restrict access to users with an active VPN connection.
How Does Amazon Prime Implement VPN Blocking?
There are three core concepts for the Amazon VPN blocks. These include:
- VPN service providers often provide multiple servers for thousands of users to utilize. However, there are usually more users than servers, and they tend to share the same IP address. Typically, when Amazon Prime detects a few connections to the same IP address, it doesn’t bug. But when it sees thousands of users sharing one IP address, it assumes the user is operating with a VPN. At this point, Amazon Prime blocks the user’s access.
- Amazon Prime sets parameters to monitor DNS, IP addresses, and WebRTC for any loopholes that can give up the fact that a user is operating with a VPN.
- Amazon Prime works with location-based services like Maxmind to detect IP addresses. These location-based services can restrict access if they notice a user connecting using an unacceptable IP.
Free VPNs cannot withstand the protocols that Amazon Prime has in place to prevent VPN access. So, when you use a VPN and receive an error message, it indicates you are using a weak VPN. Switch providers and move to the premium VPN service, ExtremeVPN. With it, you can access Amazon Prime from anywhere in the world and be undetectable.
Does Amazon Prime Support VPNs?
Although there are rules that prevent the use of VPNs on Amazon Prime, it also supports VPNs. However, only VPNs with features and protocols are strong enough to bypass Amazon Prime’s restrictions undetectably. ExtremeVPN is a fine example of a VPN that can withstand Amazon Prime’s restrictions.
With only $10.59 monthly, you can access all ExtremeVPN premium features that allow you to access Amazon Prime. You can securely connect to the top and fastest IP addresses from locations worldwide. ExtremeVPN also gives you reliable access to Amazon Prime without getting error messages.
Is it Illegal to Stream Amazon Prime with a VPN?
While it is not outrightly illegal to stream Amazon Prime with a VPN, the platform has a term of service that blocks users from using VPNs to stream. Amazon Prime builds its platform on agreements, and one of them is to block content access in a location when a content distributor requires it.
So, if you live in countries where Amazon Prime cannot display specific content and you use a VPN, it can block you from streaming. There are also countries like China, Nicaragua, Turkey, Eritrea, Egypt, Iran, United Arab Emirates, Russia, and Belarus that do not allow residents to use VPNs as it is illegal.
While choosing a VPN, go with a premium VPN service like ExtremeVPN, which provides less crowded IP addresses that you can use. With it, you can access Amazon Prime Video content with excellent speed, top-tier security, and data privacy.