How to Switch protocol on ExtremeVPN Android app
If you want to switch between protocols manually, you have to first disconnect from the ExtremeVPN app. Our available VPN protocols become visible after disabling the automatic protocol selection feature.
VPN protocols are rules that decide how your internet data will be packaged and passed through the private network. They are responsible for creating secure tunnels that ensure your safety and privacy whenever you connect to a VPN server. This is why you must choose a suitable protocol when connecting to a server.
ExtremeVPN has an automatic protocol feature that selects the appropriate connection setting. And, even if this feature doesn’t work for you, you can still switch between the different protocols on the ExtremeVPN app manually.
A Beginner’s Guide on ExtremeVPN Protocols
Before we dive into the settings, learn about the protocols ExtremeVPN offers;
Wireguard offers an ultra-fast connection speed while simultaneously securing your internet data. This protocol type is frequently used for streaming and browsing on different websites.
UDP provides users with a fast VPN connection speed, but it offers minimal security. This protocol is typically used for gaming, streaming and downloading videos, and browsing.
TCP is a reliable protocol that allows you to exchange information over the Internet. It ensures that data reaches the other party as it was sent, although its speed is slow. This VPN protocol is usually recommended for web browsing.
The IKEv2 protocol is one of the fastest VPN protocols that assures you of a secure and stable VPN connection. It is highly recommended for streaming and download activities.
Proxy offers the fastest VPN connection speed but does not guarantee internet security. This protocol type is suitable if you want to browse some sites online.
How to Switch Between Protocols
Are you interested in switching between protocols manually on our ExtremeVPN app? You can do that by following the simple steps listed below 👇
- Tap on the Hamburger icon (≡), which you will find in the top-left corner of your screen.
- Click on Settings.
- Go to the Advanced Tab option.
- Tap on Connection Protocol.
- On this page, you will have to Disable the Automatic Protocol selection option. After turning off the automatic port selection, a warning appears. Tap Reconnect to proceed.
- From here, you can see the list of available protocols. Choose your desired protocol from the list.
ExtremeVPN has an automatic port selection feature. This feature automatically selects the best port that can help manage your internet connection. If you don’t have any specific port number in mind and want to direct your traffic through any port, then this feature is for you. All you need to do is toggle on the automatic port option.
If you want to route your traffic through a specific port, follow the instructions below;
- Toggle off the automatic port option.
- Tap on Port, and a pop-up window will appear. Here, you can now type in your desired port. Note that you have a port range of (5500 -30000).
- After selecting it, you can see your new protocol has been configured successfully.
- Once you complete these settings, you can return to the locations menu and connect to any location you choose.
- After a successful connection, you will see your selected protocol in your Connection details.
How helpful was this guide? Share your valuable remarks below. Your recommendations matter to us and everyone else in the whole cyber security community.