The very basic firewall that comes with Asus RT-AC88U routers aids in shielding your home network from unauthorized internet access. You might need to open a port through this firewall since it restricts inbound connections, which prevents some games and programs from working. You must use a procedure known as port forwarding to forward the port in order to do this. To set up port forwarding on the Asus router, you can refer to the instructions below.
ExtremeVPN’s Port Forwarding Add-On – An Easy and Secured Way
Our Port Forwarding add-on is ideal if you want to avoid the headache of manually opening ports because it makes life so much simpler. You may simultaneously use ExtremeVPN and port forwarding, enabling safe and easy communication with any server or device worldwide.
To open a port on your Asus RT-AC88U router, follow these steps:
- Assign your PC or device a static IP address.
- Log in to your Asus RT-AC88U router.
- Go to the port forwarding section.
- Create a port forward entry.
- Select WAN.
- Choose Virtual Server/Port Forwarding.
- We’ll guide you through these steps for your Asus RT-AC88U router.
Step 1: Set the device to which you wish to forward a port with a static IP address. It ensures that your ports remain open even if your device restarts.
- Refer to our Router setup guide for instructions on setting up a static IP address.
Step 2: Log into your Asus RT-AC88U router by following these steps:
- Open your web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge).
- In the address bar, replace “192.168.1.1” with the IP address of your router (known as your computer’s default gateway). The default IP address is usually set to: 192.168.1.1
- Press Enter.
- You’ll see a box where you need to enter your username and password.
- The default username for the Asus RT-AC88U router is “admin,” and the password “admin.”
- Enter your username and password.
- Click the Login button to access your Asus RT-AC88U router.
Step 3: Follow these steps starting from the first page, To locate the port forwarding section in your router:
- Access the first page of your router.
- On the page’s left side, locate and choose the WAN link.
- Go to the page’s top and choose the Virtual Server/Port Forwarding link.
Step 4: For instance, these are the ports for Xbox Live to forward:
- TCP Ports: 3074
- UDP Ports: 3074
- Create a name for the Service Name field. This name doesn’t impact the forward’s functionality; it’s only for your reference in understanding its purpose.
Set the Port Range for port forwarding:
- Specify the destination IP address for forwarding the ports in the Local IP field. It can be your computer’s IP or another device’s IP on the network.
- Choose the protocol for port forwarding from the Protocol options.
- Click the Add button to finalize the configuration.
- To save the changes, click Apply at the bottom of the screen.