- How to Configure OpenVPN on the TP-Link AX6600 Wi-Fi 6 Tri-band Gaming Router
- How to Configure PPTP on the AX6600 Wi-Fi 6 Tri-Band Gaming Router
- How to Configure PPTP on TP-Link Archer Router
- How to Configure PPTP on TP-Link Router
- How to Setup OpenVPN on TP-Link Router
- How to Setup PPTP on TP-Link R6000 VPN Router
OpenVPN Configuration on TP-Link Router
TP-Link routers are well-known among Internet Service providers. They allow easy VPN configuration updates and have a reputation for being durable. With ExtremeVPN, you can even set up the OpenVPN protocol on your TP-Link router by upgrading the Firmware to DD-WRT. Follow the steps to configure OpenVPN Protocol on your router.
Things to Consider:
- Ensure you have a functional internet connection.
- Make sure your router supports VPN.
- Obtain a Premium ExtremeVPN account. If you haven’t purchased one yet, buy it by clicking 👉 here.
- Access the ExtremeVPN Member Area.
- Sign in to the Member Area using your registered email address and password.
- Navigate to the Subscriptions tab.
- Scroll down to locate your VPN credentials.
- Write down and remeber of your ExtremeVPN username.
- To view your password for manual configuration, click the Eye symbol.
Visit this page to download the DD-WRT firmware files for the TP-Link router. You may obtain firmware files for your router by entering its model number.
- Access the TP-link router’s configuration page by logging in.
- Navigate to the “Advanced” section.
- Locate and click on “System Tools.”
- Look for the option labeled “Firmware upgrade” and click on it.
- Choose the DD-WRT firmware file you downloaded by clicking “Choose File.”
- Initiate the upgrade process by selecting “Upgrade” or a similar button.
Here are the steps to configure OpenVPN:
- Download all OpenVPN files and extract them.
- Open DDWRT Control Panel and go to Services.
- Select the VPN tab and enable OpenVPN Client.
- Configure your OpenVPN client with the following settings:
- OpenVPN Client: Turn it on/Enable
- CVE Mitigation: Turn it off/Disable
- Server IP/Name: Enter desired location’s TCP/UDP server address.
- Port: For TCP (Choose 80) / For UDP (Select 53)
- Tunnel Device: Choose TUN
- Tunnel Protocol: Select TCP/UDP
- Encryption Cipher: Choose AES-256-CBC
- Hash Algorithm: Switch it to SHA-1
- Inbound Firewall on TUN: Uncheck it
- User Pass Authentication: Checkmark it
- Username and Password: Type in your ExtremeVPN credentials.
- Advanced Options: Turn it on/Enable
- TLS Cipher: Select None
- Compression: Choose Adaptive
- NAT: Enable it
- Firewall Protection: Turn it off/Disable
- Tunnel UDP MSS-Fix: Turn it off/Disable
- Verify Server Cert.: Checkmark it
- TLS Key Choice: Select TLS Auth
- TLS Key: Copy and paste the content from the downloaded key file.
- Additional Config: Choose persist-key persist-tun
- CA Cert: Copy and paste content from the downloaded crt file.
- Click Save and then hit Apply Settings.
- Go to the Status tab and navigate to OpenVPN to check the connection status.
How helpful you rate this guide? Let us know in the comments section below. Your experience matters to us and our cyber security community.